- Prof. Parashar elected Editor in Chief of the IEEE Transactions of Parallel and Distributed Systems, June 2017 (Term starting January 2018).
- Prof. Parashar presented the Keynote titled "Computing in the Continuum: Harnessing Pervasive Data Ecosystems" at the 2017 IEEE Services Conference Federation (SCF 2017), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, June 2017.
- Prof. Parashar presented the Keynote titled “Big Data Challenges in Extreme Scale Science.” at the International Conference on Computing Systems (CompSys-2017), Vught, the Netherlands, June 2017.
- Prof. Parashar was awarded the 2017 IEEE TCPP Outstanding Service Award by the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Parallel Processing (TCPP).
- RDI2 and its Caliburn Supercoputer featured in NJ Business.
- Prof. Parashar presented the Keynote titled Computing in the Continuum: Harnessing Pervasive Data Ecosystems at the 1st IEEE International Conference on Fog and Edge Computing (ICFEC 2017) in Mardid, Spain, May 14, 2017.
- Prof. Parashar elected to IEEE Computer Society's Golden Core, 2016.
- Prof. Parashar appointed as Founding Chair of the IEEE Computer Society Technical Consortium on High Performance Computing.
- DataSpaces statging featured in recent articles about ADIOS -- see HPCwire and MILTECH.
- Coveraged of RDI2's Caliburn Launch:
New Jersey Tech Weekly,
American Entrepreneurship Today,
- Congratulations to Qian Sun, Melissa Romanus and Tong Jin for receiving the Best Paper Award for our paper titled In-Staging Data Placement for Asynchronous Coupling of Task-Based Scientific Workflows presented at the Second International Workshop on Extreme Scale Programming Models and Middleware (ESPM2 2016) at SC'16.
- RDI2 awarded a $4 Million NSF DIBBs grant (M. Parashar, PI) titled Virtual Data Collaboratory (VDC) — A Regional Cyberinfrastructure for Collaborative Data Intensive Science (See Newswise Article).
- RDI2 to coordinate the development of a cyberinfrastructure strategic plan in partnership with the NJ Office of Information Technology and NJ Big Data Alliance.(See Innovation NJ Article).
- RDI2 led Supercomputer, Caliburn, Ranked #2 Among Big Ten Universities, #8 Among U.S. Academic Institutions by the Top500 List (See artices in NJBiz / NJBiz (ORED), New Jersey Tech Weekly, NJ Business, NJ Life Sciences, Newswise, Rutgers).
- RDI2 led OOI/CI featured in press releases/articles from Rutgers, NSF, Nature, Scientific American, and featured in MyCentralJersey.
- Congratulations to Mengsong Zou and Ali Reza Zamani for winning the Best Student Paper Award for our paper titled "Leveraging In-Transit Computational Capabilities in Federated Ecosystems" at the 2016 International IEEE Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering.
- Professor Parashar presented an invited talk titled Big Data Challenges in Simulation Based Science at the Big Data & Discrete Mathematics Symposium in St. Andrews, Scotland, UK, February 2016.
- Professor Parashar presented a keynote titled Software Defined Evironments for Science at the Grid'5000 Winter School in Grenoble, France, February 2016.
- The CometCloud team, in collaboration with IBM Research, won the 2015 Cloud Challenge Award (Category 2) for the short paper titled "Docker Containers Across Multiple Clouds and Data Centers" at the 8th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2015), December 07-10, 2015, St. Raphael Resort, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Professor Parashar delivered an Inaugral Lecture at University of Derby, UK titled "Big Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science," October, 2015.
- The CometCloud team presented a tutorial titled Exploring Software-Defined Federated Infrastructures for Science at the ICCAC in Cambridge, MA, September, 2015.
- CometCloud used to deploy containers across federated clouds (see IBM Blog, Fortune) August 2015.
- The DataSpaces team presented a tutorial titled DataSpaces: An Extreme Scale Data Management Framework at the XSEDE 2015 in St. Louis, MO in July 2015.
- DataSpaces was part of the Emerging Technologies Showcase entry titled "InfiniCortex: Concurrent Supercomputing across the Globe Utilizing Trans-Continental Infiniband and Galaxy of Supercomputers" at SC14, The ACM/IEEE International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking Storage and Analysis, New Orleans, LA, USA, November 2014.
- Professor Parashar moderated a panel titled "Beyond the Hype - Big Data Unmasked" at the CIO Executive Summit, Whippany, NJ, December 2014.
- Professor Parashar presented an seminar titled Exploring Clouds as Enablers of Science at The Laboratory for Education and Research on Security Assured Information Systems (LERSAIS), School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, September 2014.
- Gov. Chris Christie signed New Jerseys first "Big Data Bill" (A2218/S582) into law, putting the State on the path to become a national leader in Big Data by officially recognizing the New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA) as the State's Advanced Cybeirinfrastructure Consortium -- The bill and NJBDA were initiated by RDI2 and the Rutgers Office of Economic Development.
- Professor Parashar featured in Ask the Experts: Big Data, IEEE Roundup, IEEE the institue, September 2014 and Your Questions About Big Data Answered, October 2014.
- Professor Parashar presented a keynote titled Autonomics, Cyberinfrastructure Federation, and Software-Defined Environments for Science at the The International Conference on Cloud and Autonomic Computing (CAC 2014), part of FAS* - Foundation and Applications of Self* Computing Conferences, London, UK, September 2014.
- Professor Parashar featured in Launching a Job in Big Data, IEEE the institue, September 2014.
- Professor Parashar presented a talk titled "Towards Pervasive Computational and Data Ecosystems" as part of the Ericcson ESV Thought Leadership Speaker Series, July 2014.
- Research collaborations between the Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2) and the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (CINJ) highlighted in Nature 509, S66-S67 (29 May 2014) doi:10.1038/509S66a and Scientific American, Volume 311, Issue 1.
- Professor Parashar presented a keynote titled Big Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science at the 6th International Workshop on Data Intensive Distributed Computing (DIDC 14), in conjunction with the 23rd ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC 14), Vancouver, Canada, June 2014.
- Professor Parashar presented a keynote titled Software Defined Federated Infrastructures for Science at the 5th Workshop on Scientific Cloud Computing (ScienceCloud 2014), in conjunction with the 23rd ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC 14), Vancouver, Canada, June 2014.
- Professor Parashar featured in an articles in US.1..
- Professors Parashar and Rana presented a tutorial on Autonomic Clouds at the 14th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing held in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Professor Parashar presented a talk titled Exploring Autonomics for Federated Clouds at the Cloud Control Workshop at LCCC - Lund Center for Control of Complex Engineering Systems, Lund University, Lund Sweden, May 2014.
- Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2) hosted the first symposium of the New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA) titled Partnerships in Big Data: Pathways to Transformative Innovation in New Jersey.
- Professor Parashar awarded the Peter D. Cherasia Faculty Scholar Award for excellence in teaching and scholarly activity in highly quantitative and computational aspects of engineering research related to financial problems.
- Professor Parashar presented talk titled "Addressing Big Data Challenge in Simulation-based Science," at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, January, 2014.
- Professor Parashar testified before the Senate Economic Growth Committee and Assembly Telecommunications and Utilities Committee in favor of Bills S851 / A2219 and S852 / A2218.
- Research collaborations between the Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2) and the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (CINJ) highlighted in Rutgers Today, myCenteralJersey, News India Times, DashBoard Insight, and Jersey Tribune.
- Professor Parashar presented an invited talk at the Texas Advanced Computing Center booth at Supercomputing 2013, titled Using Elastic Resource Federations to Enable Large-scale Scientific Workflows, Denver, CO, November 20, 2013.
- Professor Parashar co-organized the First Workshop on Sustainable Software for Science: Practice and Experiences (WSSSPE) with D. Katz, G. Allen, N. Chue Hong and D. Proctor at Supercomputing 2013, Denver, CO, November 17, 2013.
- Professor Parashar co-organized the 4th International Workshop on Big Data Analytics -- Challenges and Opportunities (BDAC-13) with R. Vatsavai and S. Klasky at Supercomputing 2013, Denver, CO, November 17, 2013.
- CometCloud featured in the Daily Targum, November 12, 2013.
- Professor Parashar presented the ISTeC Distinguished Lecture titled "Moving from Extreme Data to Extreme Insights - Addressing Emerging Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science," at the Information Science and Technology Center (ISTeC), Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, November 2013. (Presentation online here)`
- Professor Parashar presented a seminar titled "Exploring Energy Challenges and Tradeoffs for Science Workflows at Extreme Scales," at part of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and Computer Science Department Seminar Series, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, November 2013.
- Professor Parashar presented the keynote titled "Big Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science," at HPC China 2013, Guilin, China, October 2013 (Article about the talk posted here).
- Professor Parashar presented the keynote titled "Exploring Autonomics for Clouds," at the 6th International Conference on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems (IDCS 2013), Hangzhou, China, October 2013.
- Professor Parashar presented the keynote titled "Exploring Clouds as Enablers of Science -- Case Studies in Medical Informatics," at the High Performance Computing Workshop at the 16th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2013), Nagoya, Japan, September 2013.
- Awarded 2013 R&D 100 Award for ADIOS: Adaptable I/O System for Big Data (Information Technologies) in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Rutgers team takes title of Best Poster at ACM CAC Conference in Miami, August 2013.
- Science enabled by CometCloud featured in
2012-2013 XSEDE Highlights,
e! Science News,
and ECN Magazine.
- The Rutgers RDI2 and Iowa State University CAML UberCloud experiment titled Federated Computing for the Masses -- Using a Federated HPC-Cloud to Understand Fluid Flow in Microchannels featured in HPC in the Cloud and Digital Manufacturing.
- Professor Parashar presented a webinar titled Moving From Data to Insight -- Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-Based Science as part of the Lockheed Martin/IEEE Computer Society Webinar Series, June 2013.
- Professor Parashar presented a tutorial titled "Autonomic Computing: Foundations, Systems and Applications," at the 1st Summer School Autonomic Road Transport Support Systems: Foundations & Techniques, Paris-Marne La Valee, France, May 2013.
- Professor Parashar presented the keynote titled Staying Green at the Extreme : Exploring Energy Challenges and Tradeoffs for Science Workflows at Extreme Scales at the ExtremeGreen Workshop at CCGrid 2013 in Delft, The Netherlands, May 2013
- Professor Parashar presented an invited seminar titled From Data to Insights - Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science at the Princeton ACM/IEEE-CS Chapter Meeting, Princeton, NJ, April 2013
- Professor Parashar is awarded a Google App Engine Education Award for Cloud Computing for Scientific Applications.
- The Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2) leads the formation of the New Jersey Big Data Alliance -- See Rutgers Press Release and article in New Jersey Tech Weekly.
- Professor Parashar elevated to the rank of Fellow by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) for "distinguished contributions to high-performance parallel and distributed computing and its application to the advancement of computational science and engineering" -- See Rutgers University announcement here (Also featured in India Abroad, India West)
- Professor Parashar was quoted in a recent article titled Gartner: Big Data Will Generate 6 Million U.S. Jobs by 2015 posted at ITBusinessEdge.
- Professor Parashar's interview titled Can Clouds Transform Science featured in International Science and Grid This Week (isgtw)
- Professor Parashar featured in NorthJersey.com article Businesses starting to catch on to big data by Mary Diduch.
- Professor Parashar's interview titled Can Clouds Transform Science featured in International Science and Grid This Week (isgtw)
- CAC@Rutgers presents a short course titled "Federating HPC, Cyberinfrastructure and Clouds using CometCloud" as part of the Science Cloud Summer School (August 02, 2012), which is part of the 2012 Virtual School of Computational Science and Engineering.
- Professor Parashar presented a Computational Science and Engineering Seminar at at the Institute of High Performance Computing, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore, titled "From Data to Insights - Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science", July 2012
- Professor Parashar is Visiting Professor at the Institute of High Performance Computing, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore.
- Professor Parashar presented an invited talk on "Cloud Paradigms and Practices for Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering" at the The Eighth International Workshop on System Management Techniques, Processes and Services (SMTPS 2012) at 2012 International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) in Shanghia, China, May, 21 2012.
- Profressor Parashar and the Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute featured in the Star Ledger, HPCWire, Rutgers Targum NJBIZ and NJ.Com
- Profressor Parashar appointed as Director of the Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute
- Professor Parashar presented a Keynote at the High Performance Computing Symposium at Lehigh University titled "From Data to Insights - Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science", March 2012
- Professor Parashar presented an invited seminar at the Digital Science Center at Indiana University titled "From Data to Insights - Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science"
- Professor Parashar presented a keynote at ACSW 2012 in Melbourne Australia titled "From Data to Insights - Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science"
- Professor Parashar organized the 1st US/India Workshop on Virtual Institutes for Computational and Data-Enabled Science & Engineering (along with HiPC 2011) in Bangaluru, India, December 22-23, 2011.
- Professor Parashar presented a keynote at UCC 2011 in Melbourne Australia titled "Can Clouds Transform Science? Exploring the Role of Clouds in Computational and Data-enabled Science and Engineering"
- Top Cited Article 2005-2010 for "A Concise Introduction to Autonomic Computing," R. Sterritt, M. Parashar, H. Tianfield and R. Unland, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Elsevier Publishers, Vol, 19, No. 3, pp. 181-187, 2005.
- Professor Parashar participated in a Congressional luncheon briefing The Cloud of Things: The Next Phase of Computing,held in conjunction with the Congressional Research & Development Caucus co-chaired by Judy Biggert (R-Ill.) and Rush Holt (D-N.J.) (Video)
- DataSpaces/DART, CAC/TASSL contributions to ADIOS 1.3 featured in HPCwire
Professor Parashar featured in NEWS India TIMES
Professor Parashar, CometCloud/iCode, and the Rutgers/IBM/UT-Austin winning IEEE SCALE 2011 Demo featured in:
- ACM TechNews & Communications of the ACM
- HPC in the Cloud
- Media Newswire
- ComputerWorld, Australia
- ComputerWorld, New Zealand
- Network World (Also in Spanish and Polish)
- IT World
- CIO Peru
- BetaNews (English translation here)
- idealog (NZ)
- PC World (Middle East)
- The rise of autonomic computing, International Science Grid This Week (iSGTW), April 21, 2010.